Monday, November 20, 2006

Yarn to Dye for

I have been looking forward to this weeks Coventry Spinners weavers & Dyers workshop for most of the year. Toni took the workshop, which was to produce Self-patterning sock yarn, which has become very popular.

The idea was that each row of a sock takes approximately 1m of yarn, so a long skein could be dyed in 1m sections in a repeated pattern, this producing the pattern. Therefore most people wound 12m skeins, which was a scream to watch.

I did it a little different using a warping Board. The distance between the pegs across the board is approximately 50cm, so wrapping round gave 1m. What I did was todo 5 full wraps then move onto the next set of pegs, building up 3 sections, which I then dyed separately, using:-

Omega Dusty Punk – largest section
Omega Violet
Omega Indigo & left white sections

Each section was wrapped carefully in clingfilm and the whole lot put in a zip-top plastic bag, which was then steamed for 20 minutes. While I was rinsing the violet ‘bled’ onto the Indigo/white sections, turning the white a pale purple/pink – I quite liked this as I did not really want white as such. Toni said that if I had wanted white, then letting the skein dry out thoroughly after the steaming process it should prevent the bleeding.



Once I was rinsing I realized that balling up was going to be a nightmare as it was a tangled mess. Well it took hours to finally ball up all 100g, but the results I do think are worth it. I can’t wait to try it out on the pins…..

No comments: