Saturday, January 01, 2011

First steps in quilting

Quilting has been in the back of my mind for dome time now. As i've finally cracked the new sewing machine it was about time to put it to the test.

So armed with the iPhone and YouTube I created my first quilt - thus is for Finn's bedroom. The letters are appliqué using straight stitch as I was not confident with the appliqué stitch on the machine at this point



The skull was appliqué by hand. The inner was polyester wadding... I have since learnt that there is a better product. Happy with the results of the first attempt .





This is where the skills learnt with Finn's banner really came together. This was constructed using fat quarters and polyester wadding again. I used the 'stitch in the ditch' method of quilting, which shows up the channels. This was for Archie, our new nephew. I'm very pleased with the results, especially the binding.






Ok so now I really know how to quilt! A visit to the local quilting shop in Warwick - http://www.thequiltersden.co.uk/
Quilters Den. Now I know that I should use a specific wadding, this is a cotton one. Also I should quilt all over rather than 'stitch in the ditch' to look neater.

I'm quite staggered by thus one!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: