Monday, January 01, 2007

Christmas Aftermath

Nearly 2 weeks off from work and not a chance to blog. My needles have been on fire trying to complete my projects for Christmas presents.

I finished Dad's 'Jacob' bobby hat - I decided not to put the bobble on. It fits perfectly and he loves it, especially as I spun the yarn and knitted it too! – Pictures to come

I managed to start and finish Mum’s fluffy scarf in grey Sirdar Foxy – I almost looks like fur. It went down a hit too. The colour was neutral, so that it would go with any colour coat.

More Publicity – ½ page spread in the Coventry Telegraph!!! – Hopefully I’ll get a link to this if the Telegraph put it on their website. There is a picture of three of us knitting in the Liquid bar and a write up about who we are and what we do. Hopefully it will attract more members.

MOBIEUS!!
I have been saving this project as a Christmas Day project and I loved it. A Mobeius bag from “A Second Treasury of Magical Knitting” by Cat Bordhi, as a Birthday present for ZoĆ«, my Brother’s Girlfriend. I chose 100% wool, so that it would felt properly in autumn colours, which had a short variegation. Knitted on 8mm long circular needles – it is really important that they are long so that you can get the Mobeius strip. The bag is formed in the strip by creating a hole by knitting waste yarn on a number of stitches, which you go back to later, remove the waste thread and pick up the stitches to knit the bag – genius and a through pleasure to knit, so much so I’ve started another one – I hope that I don’t give it away too soon.

MORE FELTED KNITS
A fab present from my Aunty Eileen & Uncle Pat – “Knit one, Felt Too” by Kathleen Taylor, which has lots of yummy designs for felted bags, slippers, hats, teddies – the list goes on – I can’t wait to get my needles round some of these patterns.

OCTOPUS
I have been toying with the idea of a project for the Coventry Knit-Wits Group to showcase @ Made in Coventry and the Godiva Festival (See Dec 3rd – Seascape challenge). The challenge for me has been how to knit the Octopus….

I had lots of ideas and drew many pathetic pictures, but finally hit on the idea when I was knitting Zoe’s bag – the waste yarn to create holes…. So here is the pattern so far (subject to change @ a moment’s notice)

4 ply yarn from cones – 2 strands (Green & blue)
Cast on 320 stitches onto 4mm long circular needle to form a circle and knit 5 rows.

Add waste yarn pockets as such –

*knit 20 stitches normally
knit 20 on waste yarn, pass them back onto the left needle and knit them again with the main yarn.*
repeat from * to * so that there are 20 stitch ‘pockets’ with 20 stitches between

knit lots – probably until you get bored, then pass to a friend
– more on shaping when I get there, which I hope is before Feb 24th!!

No comments: